Avoiding Injury in Dangerous Jobs
Many people have careers in dangerous settings. Working in an environment like this can be stimulating and fast-paced. However, remembering to take the necessary safety precautions are essential to ensure employee’s well-being. The following tips are vital for individuals who work in high-risk surroundings. Having a long career, as well as a safe one, is important for many employees.
Dress for Success
If you work in a field that requires wearing specialized equipment, such as construction or auto body work, consider the following:
- Ensure that employees are well informed about the safety equipment needed to perform the task. For example, conduct necessary demonstrations to explain how to properly use items such as harnesses, gloves, goggles, and hard hats.
- Do not be careless in the use of protective gear. One improper use can lead to a serious accident. If you are the person in charge, set the example by always wearing the proper attire for the job.
Have high standards for training your employees. If you work in a setting that can be potentially dangerous, spend the extra time knowing your employees are competent.
Lifting and Moving
Manual labor jobs require a lot of physical labor. It is common for workers to sprain a muscle or injure themselves because they attempted to lift something they should not have. Spend time showing proper lifting form and insist that employees follow that expectation.
Operating Machinery and Other Tools
Even if you hire employees that have years of experience, always demonstrating the machinery first is a great idea. Never assume that any employee knows the full requirements to perform the job safely. For instance, make sure all workers have prior training before operating items like forklifts, cranes, or lifts.
Ongoing staff training is a necessity. All employees should discern proper responses in the event of an emergency. Also, you should also report any potential hazards immediately to a supervisor.
Physical trades can be mentally and physically exhausting. If your employees become overburdened with the expectations for the day, mistakes could occur. You may want to consider hiring additional help to ensure your expectations are not unreasonable for your staff. Set aside time during the day for obligatory breaks.
Keep a Clean, Organized Space
If you work in a dangerous setting, potentially hazardous materials are all around you. Keeping your work zone free of debris and disorder is essential. Undertaking consistent inspection of the work zone is imperative to keep everyone safe.
What is Poka Yoke?
The Japanese phrase “poka-yoke” could prove to be essential in averting workplace injury. Poka Yoke, or mistake proofing, essentially prevent workplace injuries (Poka Yoke, 2018).
How Can Poka Yoke Be Used?
- If you are the decision maker in charge of purchasing equipment:
– Check to make sure safety safeguards are available on everything you purchase.
- Have a clear mental image of your daily working atmosphere.
– Think about possible scenarios that could cause an incident to occur. Think about what tasks employees will be doing at certain times. Place machines or other equipment in the precise locations to avoid injuries. It would not be a bad idea to visit another employer’s work site to see how it compares to yours.
Mastering poka-yoke in a high-risk job should undoubtedly reduce work-related injuries.
Staying safe in more dangerous jobs does require some extra effort and attention, but it is possible. Use these tips to keep your employees safe the entire day. Being diligent in worker safety will be beneficial to everyone.