Being involved in an accident with a tractor-trailer is a frightening and traumatic event. After you have managed to calm your nerves a bit, there are a few things you need to do that will help you in obtaining the full amount of financial compensation to which you are entitled.
Once you have come to a stop, you need to immediately notify the police of the accident because:
- Given the weight and size of a tractor-trailer, it is plausible that the people involved are in need of emergency medical care.
- The law in Connecticut requires you to inform the police. In addition to this, you will also need the police at the crash site so that they can assess the situation and file a formal accident report, which will be to your advantage when proving your version of events.
- When you are speaking with the police, do not say anything other than true statements and an objective account of how the accident occurred. It is vital that you do not embellish or fabricate any portion of the events. Doing so can create several different legal issues for you down the line.
Evaluate Any Injuries and Get to a Safe Location
While you are waiting for the police and paramedics to arrive, if you yourself are unharmed you need to assess the situation and determine if anyone else has been injured and, if so, to what degree. This means that you need to:
- Move uninjured people to a safe location away from the crash site.
- If someone has been injured, you need to move them as little as possible. If they are in a safe location, leave them where they are. If they are in immediate danger, such as lying in the roadway or near a gas leak, move them only as far as necessary.
- Any vehicle that is still driveable needs to be moved out of the way of oncoming traffic so it doesn’t cause a second accident.
Gather as Much Information as You Can
- Take pictures of everything. This includes visible injuries on you and your passengers, damage to your vehicle, the general area, any property damage caused by the accident, hazardous road conditions, etc.
- Get statements and contact information from eyewitnesses.
- Get the license plate number, insurance information, and contact information of any other drivers involved in the crash.
If you or a member of your family have recently been injured in an accident in which a tractor-trailer was involved, it is important that you get in touch with a Connecticut personal injury attorney as soon as you are able to do so.
Here at Moynahan Law Firm, our tractor-trailer accident attorneys are prepared to respond aggressively to your claim and to see to it that you get the full amount that you deserve for your damages.
If you would like to discuss your personal injury case with one of our professional, experienced attorneys, then please reach out to us at (203) 597-6364 today.